Linked: M11 Link Road, London.
Miller, Graeme (2003) Linked: M11 Link Road, London. [Show/Exhibition]
Full text is not in this repository.
Linked is a large-scale, semi-permanent (it has been granted a 100-year 'exhibition' period) sound installation and off-site exhibition of the contemporary collection of the Museum of London, that I conceived and directed. With new transmitter technology, the three hundred homes, including my own, which were demolished to build the M11 Link Road, are rebuilt in sound, evoking a cross section of east London life. Day and night, voices and music are broadcast along the length of the route, accessed through radio receivers.
Brought together from over 120 hours of interviews Linked acts as an 'dematerialized monument' to the fallout of urban development and the lives that were and are permanently affected in the name of urban progress.
The key research imperatives were:
1. to understand the how architecture might perform its own history when it has materially disappeared;
2. to propose an aural, narrative presence that unfolds as a journey and which counteracts the absence/altered state of the surrounding materiality;
3. to test the potential of radio transmitter technology as a radical alternative to monumentalising 3D sculpture;
4. to propose a new model for the archiving and accessing of oral histories, in which subject also becomes site.
The work has received extensive commentary: 'LINKED: A Landmark in Sound, A Public Walk of Art'. The Oral History Reader R.Perks and A.Thomson (eds)(2nd Ed) (London: Routledge, 2006) pp. 425-433; 2) 'Through the Wrong End of the Telescope',L.Hill and H.Paris (eds), Palgrave Macmillan, 2006, pp.104-112
- 1 300-home sound installation
- Location: M11 Link Road, London.
- Dates: Museum of London
|Research Areas:||A. > School of Media and Performing Arts
A. > School of Media and Performing Arts > Performing Arts > Centre for Research into Creation in the Performing Arts (ResCen)
|Depositing User:||Repository team|
|Date Deposited:||16 Dec 2008 14:29|
|Last Modified:||13 Oct 2016 14:12|
Actions (login required)