Developing a recommendation for collection of municipal solid waste in Cyprus.
Philassides, Omiros (2010) Developing a recommendation for collection of municipal solid waste in Cyprus. Masters thesis, Middlesex University.
Full text is not in this repository.
The project deals with the development of recommendation for collection of municipal solid waste in Cyprus.
The aim of the project is to propose a new method of collection in order to improve the existing Municipal Solid Waste Management System in Cyprus.
Project Research Approach
The whole project approach is based on the Epistemological positivisticpragmatism method under the umbrella of Action Research. A complete Action Plan is followed step by step in order to reach the findings.
• The Stability test, of the refuse collection vehicle (RCV), was found to bemissing as a must for the proper selection of a new purchased RCV;
• The improper selection of chassis, creates serious problems such as over weighted trucks;
• The RCV should comply with safety regulations of 2001 by the Ministry ofLabour and Social Insurance;
• The RCVs manufactured in Cyprus don't comply with the European Standard ofEN 1501-1:2008;
• The plastic 1100lt bins were found to be the reason of overfilling waste;
• Metallic compactors of 10 cubic metres capacity must be used in order toeliminate overfilling;
• The use of skip loaders must be implemented, not only because was proved tobe more economical than the use of RCVs, but in order to transfer thecompactors for discharge;
• New method of collection called “Mixed Design” should be used for themunicipal solid waste in Cyprus;
• Stop using the 1100lt bins;
• All RCVs shall comply fully with the standard EN 1501-1:2008;
• Upgrading the specifications for the purchase of new RCV and Compactors;
• Compactors must be installed in each new building;
• A National System for monitoring and control of waste collection, must bedeveloped at the Ministry of Interior and Municipal/Local authorities;
|Item Type:||Thesis (Masters)|
|Additional Information:||A project submitted to Middlesex University in partial fulfilment of the requirements for the degree of Master in Professional Studies.|
|Research Areas:||A. > Institute for Work Based Learning
B. > Theses
|Notes on copyright:||Thesis removed subject to patent.|
|Depositing User:||Users 36 not found.|
|Date Deposited:||08 Mar 2011 16:23|
|Last Modified:||14 May 2014 10:25|
Actions (login required)