lok, susan pui san (2005) Golden. [Show/Exhibition]
Full text is not in this repository.
Golden and its attendant publication Golden (Notes) is a single, ongoing curating and research project in Visual Culture. It is constituted in a series of exhibited works and publications, including a book, video and sound installations, and live events. Its aim was to explore, through practice-led strategies, a means for the development of a critical aesthetics and poetics of place. Specifically, this relates to the exploration of key elements in the processes of diaspora (nostalgia, aspiration, translation) which are organised around problems concerning the emergence and definition of ‘British-Chinese' identity. Documentation of Golden covers its several components:
1) Vistas (2005, DVD triptych, 5 mins looped), commissioned by Beaconsfield, London, for the group exhibition, Lightsilver (23 February – 8 May 2005)
2) Songs (2005-ongoing, audio, various durations), initiated during an Artquest/B3 residency, Electric Greenhouse (February – April 2005), London
3)Years (2006, DVD, alternating two-channel projection, 22 mins looped), and Awards (2006, photographic series, various dimensions), commissioned for Golden, a solo exhibition at Chinese Arts Centre, (11 May – 2 July 2006), Manchester
4) Lessons (2006, site-specific installation and various artist-curated performance events), research residency featuring existing and new works, Beaconsfield, London (18 October – 10 November, 2006)
5) Golden, paper presented at Encounter, Curiosity, Method, symposium, Tate Britain. Golden (Notes) (2007) contextualises and extends the findings and outputs of the Golden project. Conceived of as an artist's book and a curated space, it contains commissioned texts from Gilane Tawadros, Rob Stone, and Mimi Lok, plus transcripts from Trialogue (featuring Sonia Boyce, Irit Rogoff and Naomi Siderfin).
- Location: Chinese Arts Centre, Manchester & Beaconsfield Contemporary Art, London.
|Additional Information:||Book published in a limited edition under title: Golden (notes), 2005. ISBN: 9780955184925|
|Research Areas:||A. > School of Art and Design > Visual Arts|
|Depositing User:||Repository team|
|Date Deposited:||08 Dec 2008 15:43|
|Last Modified:||13 Oct 2016 14:12|
Actions (login required)