Exhibition: Sadness and Gladness: The Films of the Glasgow Corporation, 1922 – 1978
Lebas, Elizabeth (2007) Exhibition: Sadness and Gladness: The Films of the Glasgow Corporation, 1922 – 1978. [Show/Exhibition]
Full text is not in this repository.
This exhibition, which I co-curated with Miles Glendinning (who was concerned with the photographic element) arose directly from my research in outputs 1 & 2 above. It is to be the first of a series of events reflecting on Glasgow's twentieth century history. These include a conference, a study day, walks and other exhibitions. Events arising from this research also include:
1) ‘The Films of Glasgow Corporation 1920-1980', at the symposium City in Film: Liverpool's Urban Landscape and the Moving Image, School of Architecture, Liverpool University. November 1st, 2006.
2) ‘Glasgow Corporation's Film Sponsorship, 1922-1978: Progress Report', University of Edinburgh's School of Architecture Research Seminars, Edinburgh, January 25th, 2006.
3) ‘Glasgow Corporation as Documentary Pioneer, 1921-1938' History of the Media in 20th Century Britain Conference, Birkbeck College, London, June 30th, 2005;
4) ‘Britain's Forgotten Futures: Municipal Films for Modern Living, 1918-1958' Annual Conference of the Society of Architectural Historians, Vancover, April 24th 2005. A Society of Architectural Historians Senior Travel fellowship enabled me to attend this conference.
5) ‘The Clinic, the Street and the Garden. Films for Modern Living', Visual Culture Colloquium, Cornell University, April 19th 2004.
The exhibition connects with two further essays: 1) From Beautification to Sustainability: the Inner City as Political Landscape', in Mark Dorrian and Gillian Rose, eds. Deterritoralisations: Revisioning Landscape and Politics, London: Black Dog, 2003. ISBN: 1901033937) and 2) ‘La rappresentazione filmata del rennovo urbana nell'Ingliterra degli anni trenta' in Ciacci, L., (ed.), Il Cinema degli Urbanisti, Modena: Istituto Nazionale di Urbanistica, 2002.
It also develops themes of philanthropy and mucicipality found in my work on the exhibition The Suburban Landscape: 200 Years of Gardens and Gardening, June 2007-March 2008. MoDA. With the support of English Heritage, the London Parks and Gardens Trust and the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association.
- Location: The Lighthouse, Glasgow
|Research Areas:||A. > School of Art and Design|
|Depositing User:||Repository team|
|Date Deposited:||08 Dec 2008 13:02|
|Last Modified:||13 Oct 2016 14:12|
Actions (login required)