A critical inquiry concerning the justification of programmes of Work Based Learning in the Chester College of Higher Education curriculum.
Major, William David Eric (2003) A critical inquiry concerning the justification of programmes of Work Based Learning in the Chester College of Higher Education curriculum. DProf thesis, Middlesex University.
The case study, which is the subject of this report, was undertaken in the field of Work Based Learning Studies in Higher Education, with the principal empirical research data collected and analysed between June, 2001 and January, 2003.
The key issues for investigation related to:
• philosophical and educational underpinning for Work Based Learning
• empirical research into the Student experience of Work Based Learning The setting for the project was the Centre for Work Related Studies at Chester College of Higher Education.
The context of the research was that of the place of Work Based Learning in the Chester College of Higher Education curriculum. The principal method of research was the case study, with sub research methods:
• literature search
• questionnaire to 312 WBL students (June, 2002)
• semi-structured interviews with 31 WBL students (June to December, 2002)
Publications resulting from the research :
• The Place and Status of Knowledge in Work Based Learning ; November, 2002 ; in Knowledge, Work and Learning ; Conference Proceedings of the Work Based Learning Network of the Universities Association for Continual Education ; p. 162-170
• A More Holistic Form of Higher Education : the Real Potential of Work Based Learning ; December, 2002 ; article in Widening Participation and Life long Learning : The Journal of the Institute for Access Studies and The European
Access Network ; Staffordshire University , Vol.4, No.3 ; ISSN 1466-6529
• Learning About Learning through Work Based Learning (provisional title); proposed 2004 ; chapter in Learning About Learning (provisional title) , Kogan Page (for Institute of Learning and Teaching in Higher Education)
In addition, the following article is under consideration for publication :
• Towards a philosophical underpinning for Work Based Learning : the Ontological Perspective
In addition to this Report for the University, a Report setting out recommendations in respect of Work Based Learning provision has been produced for Chester College.
Main findings :
• That there is evidence to suggest that WBL has the capacity to engage learners in more holistic ways of being and knowing
• That there is every justification for HE to recognise the workplace as a bona-fide site of learning
• That the central role of critical reflection in WBL is recognised by learners, though much work needs to be done in terms of its facilitation
• That WBL may be considered to have a sound philosophical base in both epistemological and ontological terms
• That WBL offers a distinctive pedagogy worthy of HE.
|Item Type:||Thesis (DProf)|
|Additional Information:||A project submitted to Middlesex University in partial fulfilment of the requirements for the degree of Doctor of Professional Studies.|
|Research Areas:||A. > Institute for Work Based Learning
B. > Theses
|Depositing User:||Repository team|
|Date Deposited:||07 Sep 2010 13:36|
|Last Modified:||13 Oct 2016 14:21|
Actions (login required)